Thursday, August 2, 2012

Combo-Creatures... Fact? Or Fiction? Illustrations to Prove it.





While on the island of Bermuda last summer, snorkeling in the crystal deep blue, I saw the strangest thing creep in the corner of my eye. A swimming RABBIT... A Fish-it... Bunny-ish... a Rabbish, if you will... Since that encounter, I have seen numerous unbelievable animals... a She-dino Superhero and a baseball playing Elephant-Tiger....I was compelled to illustrate my encounters and above are the sketches to prove it...
Just kidding. The inspiration for these crazy illustrations is simple... So we all know how my nickname is Turtle, and how my dad had the honor to start the tradition. I have these 2 friends (believe it or not) and a few years ago, they insisted on my dad assigning tribal animal names. My dear friend Jayne Chong was given the honorable name “Swimming Rabbit,” while my other friend Phylicia was dubbed (pardon the language) “Crapping Bear”... And the names stuck! (Poor bear)
Bored one evening, I decided to doodle a little something-something and on my sketch pad appeared this rabbit-fish with her turtle friend. After posting to Facebook, my buddy Brittney requested a self-portrait. Naturally, she requested a female super-hero dinosaur conquering the world on top of a mountain, of course. My third illustration came a few months later, and was drawn for my “new” boyfriend (at the time) who was unaware of my paper and pencil abilities. I said, “CHUCK! Pick two animals and a verb”.... Not knowing what he was getting himself into, he said, “Elephant. Tiger. Throwing.” HA! How the heck am I going to do that?... Well... Here you see. 
These have been some of my most favorite illustrations I have ever drawn. I loved combining opposite things and creating something new! Creating a visual for something we have never seen before, and giving life to the un-imaginable. If you have any request, I would love to crank out a few more of these illustrations!! It has been awhile since I have brought any “combo-creatures” to life... What should I draw next? Most creative combo wins!

- Turtle



2 comments: