Saturday, July 28, 2012

Design to think different!



A little background first. My heart belongs with the fascinating world of industrial design… I’m not going to lie. Just like every other typical college student, I had that “change-of-heart/ change-of-major” phase. Super long story short-I went from marketing, to industrial design, to graphic design. Through my industrial and graphic design history, packaging has always been one of my most FAVORITESTEST subjects/categories/topic, whatever!! I’m just fascinated with impressive 3-D design and its human interaction. I love the thought process of simplicity, aesthetic, purpose, and ergonomics. I love how 'good design' is no other design than how it should be; make sense? It’s matter-of-fact. “Why would it be designed any other way?” (which can also be applied to graphic design, but that’s a whole other story!)

Browsing along, I came across a great article http://www.yankodesign.com/2012/07/18/12-inspirational-and-exclusive-interviews-on-yanko-design-hideshi-hamaguchi/ about a man who cannot draw, but is an amazing creative strategist and product designer (not to mention, he’s also a brilliant chemical engineer and math champion from Japan). His name is Hideshi Hamaguchoi. He created the USB, is responsible for creating the first Intranet in Japan in 1993, and has over 120 innovations to his credit. He is just proof that with creativity and great communication skills, you can rule the world (muhahah!!)… not really, but you can have an outstanding impact. The human brain needs to use opposite extremes in order to reach a peak in its creative thought (exactly what I do… sike), but Hideshi mastered this technique and has created world-changing concepts.

I have had a hundred “innovations” through-out my life (I’m not telling you any because you might steal them. Maybe I should use this thought process and make it possible… ha!) Check out this video and use Hideshi Hamaguchoi’s thought process to create something world-changing.

https://www.youtube.com/embed/6g2pMOYmyoQ

 I’m just fascinated with how the mind works and how everyone's thought process is so different, and how understanding it can help you discover an idea you never imagined. But also understanding how people think differently; the magic component here is trying balance thinking multiple ways, or having the right combination of intuitive thinkers, emotional thinkers, rational thinkers, etc coming together. I’m not asking you to change the world and invent the next portable-mind-transfer-device… (what?)... but expand your thinking process, and think different. At least try.

- Turtle

No comments:

Post a Comment