Wednesday, July 25, 2012

Hello! My friends call me Leah...

... My REALLY close friends call me Turtle. Why you ask? I’m sure you’re thinking, “uhh, because you’re slow?” Sometimes, sure, but no… generally that’s not the reason. Apparently when I was a baby, my dad said I looked like a turtle stuck on its back. Thanks, dad. (I still love you, don’t worry.) “Turtle” has been on the back of my lacrosse hoodies, above “16” on my sweaty soccer jerseys, and carefully signed at the end of each letter for the past 25 years… (I dare to mention the hundred million figurines, stuffed animals, and ‘turtle-themed-stuff’ I’ve been given)... But don’t get me wrong! I love it, just not in a “crazy-turtle-lady” kind of way. I’d say I have grown to be similar to a turtle; insightful, careful, patient, conscientious, and determined… deliberately living each day to its fullest potential.

This little turtle moved to Baltimore City from Bel Air, MD, in November of 2010. I now live in the historical area of Federal Hill, and recently this month, I moved into an adorable townhome with my… oh, how do I say this… (Energetic? Hyper? Crazy? Funny? Outgoing?).. how about this, ‘All of the above’ boyfriend, Chuck; (in every positive way, possible! Never a dull moment :) I currently work for Science Applications International Corporation (SAIC) by providing technical writing and multi-media support for two DHS programs focused on first responders; System Assessment and Validation for Emergency Responders (SAVER) and Responder Technologies (R-tech). Is that what I intended on doing when I graduated from James Madison University with a degree in graphic design? ABSOLUTELY… not, but long story short, I had an amazing design internship opportunity with SAVER and from that, I was offered a stable job as a technical writer/graphic designer. I’m lucky. I now work for a Fortune 500 company, I get to travel, write, design, and just recently I started producing videos for the R-Tech program… While everything is all butterflies, cupcakes, and sparkles at work, I just can’t let go of that craving that is still burning inside…

Ever since those pre-teen turtle years, I have had a passion for marketing, design, and art. Mr. Turtle (my dad) has always been an amazing artist (I will share his work in the future, don’t you worry!) So, not only is creative in my blood, it’s an instinct. To fulfill that inner “creative” hunger that is limited in my work place, I have decided to stay involved and B-L-O-G, BLOG! I am being proactive (just a little dab, that’s all you need), taking initiative, and providing myself with the opportunity to stay involved and keep my mind engaged with the things I am interested in. I’ll be posting about the many facets of design, marketing, and art. I’ll be exploring brand identities, cool Photoshop techniques, fonts (YES!), packaging, sketches, commercials, architecture, catchy jingles, daily doodles, and so much more!

During this learning process, I want to share my 2 cents (maybe at times, when I’m feeling frisky - 50 cents). But I don’t want this to be all about me, I want to hear from you! I want to engage and have a conversation! I am positive you have something valuable to say. Let’s build a relationship. I’ll be sharing facts and fiction I learn along the way, and would love to read what you have to offer. Feel free to e-mail me, comment on my posts, tweet at me, tweet with me, tweet about me, re-tweet what I tweet, eat a treat…wait, what?...  Did I mention my slight A.D.D.?

-        Turtle

3 comments:

  1. We were ages eight to fourteen when we built a pen for turtles. With a pond and bridges, sprawling through the woods across the farthest corner of our backyard. We gave them names and a few painted initials on their shells. DW, Dreamweaver, is the only one I recall today. We're we mean to turtles? No, we were kids. Turtles were everywhere. And more fun pets than crayfish. And we raced them. The turtles not the crayfish. Most of the races were exciting, though in retrospect, a few of the turtles may have had A.D.D. as well.

    Love the opening entry, Leah. Look forward to the sketches. Here's a Photoshop fail for your amusement: http://www.poplines.com/turtle.jpg

    -J

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh my gosh, John thats hysterical!! Haha thanks for sharing! I never had a pet turtle... I think my million turtle-themed things were enough to suffice. Maybe one day I'll reconsider lol

    ReplyDelete
  3. Incase some of you cannot see the photo posted above, I've included it to the begining of this post! Great entry photo!

    ReplyDelete